Natural frequency sensitivity and influence analysis of TBM cutterhead system
Jingxiu Ling1 , Xin Tong2 , Changsheng Guo3 , Zhanfu Li4
1, 2, 4School of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Fujian University of Technology, Fuzhou, China
1, 3CSCEC Strait Construction and Development Co., Ltd, Fuzhou, China
4Mechanical Engineering Practice Training Base, Fujian University of Technology, Fuzhou, China
Journal of Vibroengineering, Vol. 21, Issue 6, 2019, p. 1710-1723.
Received 29 November 2018; received in revised form 11 March 2019; accepted 14 April 2019; published 30 September 2019
TBM cutterhead works in complex working conditions, which endures the reverse impact forces of rock breakage, resulting in parts abnormal failure. Hence, the study of the system inherent characteristics is the basis for cutterhead dynamic design. Based on the established vibration model of a TBM split-cutterhead system, the modal method is used in the dynamic model and the natural frequency sensitivity expressions to system parameters are deduced. Then a cutterhead system of a water conservancy project in China is taking as an example, the natural frequency sensitivity with respect to the cutterhead support stiffness and mass parameters is obtained, and the influence of the two parameters on natural characteristics is analyzed. The results show that, the 10th-20th order natural frequencies are mainly affected by the cutterhead support stiffness and mass parameters, and the 9th-11th order frequencies are mainly influenced by cutterhead moment of inertia. Besides, with the change of stiffness and mass parameters, the cutterhead system natural frequency curves cut across each other and there are also many inflection points in the sensitivity curves, then the modal jumping occurs near these points. The parameter sensitive points were obtained from the results, which can provide reference for TBM cutterhead system parameters matching.
- Natural frequency sensitivity expressions to a TBM cutterhead system are deduced based on modal method.
- The influence of the stiffness and mass parameters on natural characteristics is analyzed.
- Many parameter sensitive points are obtained from the results to provide reference for parameters matching.
Keywords: TBM cutterhead, vibration characteristics, parameter sensitivity, mode jumping.
This work is financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (51775113), the Natural Science Foundation of Fujian Province, China (2017J01675), Science and Technology Plan (Guidance) of Fujian Province, China (2017H0002), and Scientific Research Foundation of Fujian University of Technology (GY-Z160048).
- Sun W., Zhu Y., Huo J. Z., et al. Predict and analysis the locations of fatigue crack in TBM cutterhead based on crack failure regions division. Journal of Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 54, Issue 1, 2018, p. 27-35, (in Chinese). [Publisher]
- Cheng Y. Y. Failure Analysis and service repair technology of open type TBM cutterhead. Welding Technique, Vol. 47, Issue 6, 2018, p. 100-102, (in Chinese). [CrossRef]
- Hopkins M. J., Foden R. L. The in-situ measurement of dynamic cutter forces on raise borer reaming heads. Proc., Conf. on Mining Machinery, Brisbane, Vol. 7, 1979, p. 335-338. [CrossRef]
- Samuel Seow Disc Force measurements on a full-face tunnelling machine. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences and Geomechanics Abstracts, Vol. 21, Issue 2, 1984, p. 83-96. [Publisher]
- Maleki R., Mahdi Rock Joint Rate (RJR); a new method for performance prediction of tunnel boring machines (TBMs) in hard rocks. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 73, 2018, p. 261-286. [Publisher]
- Rostami J. Performance prediction of hard rock tunnel boring machines (TBMs) in difficult ground. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology Incorporating Trenchless Technology Research, Vol. 57, 2016, p. 173-182. [Publisher]
- Rostami J., Chang S. A closer look at the design of cutterheads for hard rock tunnel-boring machines. Engineering, Vol. 3, Issue 6, 2017, p. 892-904. [Publisher]
- Liu Z. J., Teng H. F., Shi Y. J., et al. Cutterhead design key issues of a full face rock Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM). Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 19, Issue 16, 2008, p. 1980-1985, (in Chinese). [CrossRef]
- Geng Q., Wei Z. Y., Meng H., et al. Free-face-assisted rock breaking method based on the multi-stage tunnel boring machine (TBM) cutterhead. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, Vol. 49, Issue 11, 2016, p. 4459-4472. [Publisher]
- Zhang X. H., Xia Y. M., Liu J., et al. Study on characteristics of breaking rock by double edge central disc cutter under confining pressure. Journal of Northeastern University (Natural Science), Vol. 38, Issue 6, 2017, p. 839-844, (in Chinese). [CrossRef]
- Lin L. K., Xia Y. M., Jia L. H., et al. Influence of installation and tunneling parameters on rock-breaking resistance of disc cutter. Journal of Zhejiang University (Engineering Science), Vol. 52, Issue 6, 2018, p. 1209-1215, (in Chinese). [CrossRef]
- Tang Q., Yang Y., Xia Y. M., et al. Numerical and experimental study on rock breaking by cutter in rolling model. Journal of Hunan University (Natural Science), Vol. 45, Issue 8, 2018, p. 69-78, (in Chinese). [CrossRef]
- Li J., Nie Y. F., Fu K., et al. Experiment and analysis of the rock breaking characteristics of disc cutter ring with small edge angle in high abrasive grounds. Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, Vol. 40, 2018, p. 505, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40430-018-1422-z. [Publisher]
- Pan Y. C., Liu Q. S., Peng X. X., et al. Full-scale rotary cutting test to study the influence of disc cutter installment radius on rock cutting forces. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, Vol. 51, 2018, p. 2223-2236. [Publisher]
- Han M. D., Cai Z. X., Qu C. Y., et al. Dynamic numerical simulation of cutterhead loads in TBM tunnelling. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 70, 2017, p. 286-298. [Publisher]
- Liu J. Q., Bin H. C., Guo W. Load characteristics of the TBM cutterhead under mixed-face rock ground condition. Journal of Harbin Engineering University, Vol. 39, Issue 3, 2018, p. 575-583, (in Chinese). [CrossRef]
- Guo W., Song L. W., Zhu D. H., et al. Matching characteristics analysis of TBM cutterhead boring parameters and disc cutter spacing based on energy principle. Journal of Tianjin University (Science and Technology), Vol. 50, Issue 2, 2017, p. 128-134, (in Chinese). [CrossRef]
- Sun W., Ling J. X., Huo J. Z., et al. Dynamic characteristics study with multidegree-of-freedom coupling in TBM cutterhead system based on complex factors. Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Vol. 3, Issue 2013, 2013, p. 657-675. [CrossRef]
- Huo J. Z., Wu H. Y., Yang J., et al. Multi-directional coupling dynamic characteristics analysis of TBM cutterhead system based on tunnelling field test. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 29, Issue 8, 2015, p. 3043-3058. [Publisher]
- Huo J. Z., Hou N., Sun W., et al. Analyses of dynamic characteristics and structure optimization of tunnel boring machine cutter system with multi-joint surface. Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol. 87, Issue 1, 2017, p. 237-254. [Publisher]
- Huo J. Z., Wu H. Y., Sun W., et al. Electromechanical coupling dynamics of TBM main drive system. Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol. 90, Issue 4, 2017, p. 2687-2710. [Publisher]
- Lin J., Parker R. G. Sensitivity of planetary gear natural frequencies and vibration modes to model parameters. Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 228, Issue 1, 1999, p. 109-128. [Publisher]