Error correction and uncertainty measurement of short-open-load calibration standards on a new concept of software defined instrumentation for microwave network analysis
M. Nazrin1 , S. J. Hashim2 , F. Z. Rokhani3 , B. M. Ali4 , Z. Yusoff5
1, 2, 3, 4Department of Computer and Communication System, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400, Selangor, Malaysia
5Faculty of Engineering, Multimedia University, 63100, Cyberjaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Journal of Measurements in Engineering, Vol. 7, Issue 3, 2019, p. 107-118.
Received 22 October 2018; received in revised form 20 January 2019; accepted 28 January 2019; published 30 September 2019
Software-Defined Radio (SDR) has appeared as a sufficient framework for the development and testing of the measurement systems such as a signal generator, signal analyzer, and network analysis used in the network analyzer. However, most of researchers or scientists still rely on commercial analyzers were larger benchtop instruments, highly cost investment and minimum software intervention. In this paper, a new concepts measurement revolution called as Software Defined Instrumentation (SDI) on network analysis is presented, which is based on reconfigurable SDR, a low-cost implementation, ability to access RF chain and utilizing open source signal processing framework. As a result, a Vector Network Analyzer (VNA) has been successful implemented by deploying an SDR platform, test sets, and data acquisition from the GNU Radio software in host PC. The known calibration process on SHORT-OPEN-LOAD (SOL) technique is validated to ensure measurement data from this SDI free from systematic error. Two types of SOL calibration standards used for a comparison study to validate the SDI measurement system which is capable of generating the response on the differential of standard quality and accuracy of standards kits. Finally, calibration uncertainty analysis is also presented in this work by utilizing RF open source package without any cost addition.
- A new concept of Software Defined Instrumentation (SDI) measurement system on network analysis is presented.
- The measurement system consists of reconfigurable Software Defined Radio (SDR), test-sets, and an open-source signal processing framework is utilized with minimal cost.
- The Short-Open-Load (SOL) Calibration technique and uncertainty measurement with two different standard kits successfully verified.
- The Scattering parameters (S-parameters) measurement between the SDI measurement system and a commercial Vector Network Analyzer (VNA) shows is validated with the good agreement were achieved.
Keywords: SDR, calibration, uncertainty, network analyzer, open source.
The authors would like to express our appreciation to Department of Computer and Communications Systems, Universiti Putra Malaysia staffs and students, for their support and cooperation.
- Devi C., Thangadurai N. A review on recent trends in software defined radio design and applications. International Journal of Advanced Research in Electronics and Communication Engineering (IJARECE), Vol. 6, Issue 10, 2017, p. 1021-1025. [CrossRef]
- Ferrari P., Flammini A., Sisinni E. New architecture for a wireless smart sensor based on a software-defined radio. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 60, Issue 6, 2011, p. 2133-2141. [Publisher]
- Uengtrakul B., Bunnjaweht D. A cost efficient software defined radio receiver for demonstrating concepts in communication and signal processing using Python and RTL-SDR. 4th International Conference on Digital Information and Communication Technology and its Applications (DICTAP), Bangkok, 2014, p. 394-399. [CrossRef]
- Dang T. M., Gonnot T., Saniie J. End-to-end wireless digital communication system of FPGA based software defined radio. IEEE International Conference on Electro Information Technology (EIT), Lincoln, 2017, p. 235-239. [CrossRef]
- Schmidt E., Akopian D., Pack D. J. Development of a real-time software-defined GPS receiver in a LabVIEW-based instrumentation environment. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 67, Issue 9, 2018, p. 2082-2096. [Publisher]
- Soghoyan A., Suleiman A., Akopian D. A development and testing instrumentation for GPS software defined radio with fast FPGA prototyping support. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 63, Issue 8, 2001, p. 2012-2014. [CrossRef]
- Bloessl B., Segata M., Sommer C., Dressler F. Towards an open source IEEE 802.11p stack: a full SDR-based transceiver in GNU radio. IEEE Vehicular Networking Conference, Boston, 2013, p. 143-149. [CrossRef]
- Weidong H., Houjun S., Xin L., Shiyong L. Research on SDR architecture for radar target signatures measurement. CIE International Conference on Radar, Shanghai, 2006. [CrossRef]
- Arslan H. Teaching SDR through a laboratory based course with modern measurement and test instruments. Proceeding of the SDR 07 Technical Conference and Product Exposition, 2017. [CrossRef]
- Andrich C., Ihlow A., Bauer J., Beuster N., Galdo G. D. High-precision measurement of sine and pulse reference signals using software-defined radio. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 67, Issue 5, 2018, p. 1132-1141. [Publisher]
- Carey D., Lowdermilk R., Spinali M. Testing software defined and cognitive radios using software defined synthetic instruments. IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Magazine, Vol. 18, Issue 2, 2015, p. 19-24. [Publisher]
- Helaly T., Adnani N. A fourth category of software-defined instrumentation for wireless test. IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Magazine, Vol. 20, Issue 4, 2017, p. 3-10. [Publisher]
- Helaly T., Adnani N. A new category of software-defined instrumentation for wireless test. IEEE Autotestcon, Anaheim, 2016. [Publisher]
- Cruz P., Carvalho N. B., Remley K. A., Gard K. G. Mixed analog-digital instrumentation for software-defined-radio characterization. IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Atlanta, USA, 2008, p. 253-256. [CrossRef]
- Szatkowski J., Wiatr W. Study of residual VNA measurement errors due to imperfect Thru-Reflect-Match calibration standards. 22nd International Microwave and Radar Conference (MIKON), Poznan, 2018, p. 664-667. [Publisher]
- Pulse electronic, https://productfinder.pulseeng.com/product/SPDA24700/2700. [CrossRef]
- Magerl M., Mandic T., Baric A. Broadband characterization of SMA connectors by measurements. 37th International Convention on Information and Communication Technology, Electronics and Microelectronics (MIPRO), Opatija, 2014, p. 104-109. [Publisher]
- Grujiá D. N, Jovanović P., Savić M. Using software defined radio for RF measurements Zooming Innovation in Consumer Electronics International Conference (ZINC), Novi Sad, 2017, p. 18-21. [Publisher]
- Xilinx and Analog Devices Release Two Zynq-7000 All Programmable SoC/Analog Devices Software-Defined Radio Kits from. Avnet Electronics Marketing, https://news.avnet.com/press-release/avnet-electronics-marketing-xilinx-and-analog-devices-release-two-zynq-7000-all. [CrossRef]
- Muslimin J., Asnawi A. L., Ismail A. F., Jusoh A. Z. SDR-based transceiver of digital communication system using USRP and GNU radio. International Conference on Computer and Communication Engineering (ICCCE), Kuala Lumpur, 2016, p. 449-453. [CrossRef]
- Michael Hiebel Fundamentals of Vector Network Analysis. Rohde and Schwarz, 2007. [CrossRef]
- Arsenovic A., Chen L., Bauwens M. F., Li H., Barker N. S., Weikle R. M. An experimental technique for calibration uncertainty analysis. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, Issue 1, 2013, p. 263-269. [Publisher]
- Arsenovic A. SCIKIT-RF: Open-source microwave/RF tools for python. 2018, http://www.scikit-rf.org. [CrossRef]