Non-linear vibration analysis of oleo pneumatic landing gear at touchdown impact
S. Sivakumar1 , M. Syedhaleem2
1, 2Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai, India
Mathematical Models in Engineering, Vol. 4, Issue 2, 2018, p. 89-97.
Received 7 April 2018; accepted 20 April 2018; published 30 June 2018
In this paper, nonlinear vibration analysis of a typical aircraft oleo pneumatic landing gear has been done. Mathematical model of the main landing gear is developed, and dynamic equations have been written incorporating the effect of lift force, friction force to study the landing gear behaviour at touchdown condition. The nonlinear effect of stiffness, damping coefficient properties are considered in the analysis. The displacement, velocity, acceleration values are obtained on different landing velocities by numerical simulations using MATLAB/Simulink. Using the same parameters of the aircraft, landing gear and tire, the dynamic analysis was also done in ABAQUS. The results obtained by the nonlinear vibration analysis using the developed model in MATLAB/Simulink have close agreement with the results obtained from ABAQUS. On the basis of the presented model, dynamic simulations of landing for large transport aircraft were performed for different sink velocities. The developed model is also helpful to fine tune the stiffness and damping properties of landing gear in the design stage itself to reduce the replacement / repair cost and increase the life of landing gear assembly.
Keywords: landing gear, stiffness, damping, vibration and non-linear.
- Jenkins S. F. N. Landing gear design and development. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Vol. 203, 1989, p. 67-73. [Publisher]
- Young D. W. Aircraft landing gears-the past present and future. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, Vol. 200, Issue D2, 1986, p. 75-91. [Publisher]
- Currey N. S. Aircraft Landing Gear Design: Principles and Practices. AIAA Education Series, AIAA, Washington, 1998. [CrossRef]
- Roskam J. Airplane Design, Part IV: Layout Design of Landing Gear and Systems. DAR Corporation, Lawrence, KS, USA, 1998. [CrossRef]
- Daniels J. N. A Method for Landing Gear Modeling and Simulation with Experimental Validation. NASA CR 201601, 1996. [CrossRef]
- Jayarami Reddy P., Nagaraj Vt, Ramamurti V. Analysis of a semi-levered suspension landing gear with some parametric study. Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 106, 1984, p. 218-224. [Publisher]
- Somieksi G. Shimmy analysis of a simple aircraft nose landing gear model using different mathematical methods. Aerospace Science and Technology, Vol. 8, 1997, p. 545-555. [CrossRef]
- Sheperd A., Catt T., Cowling D. The Simulation of Aircraft Landing Gear Dynamics. 18th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, Beijing, China, 1992. [CrossRef]
- Sivakumar S., Haran A. P. Mathematical model and vibration analysis of aircraft with active landing gears. Journal of Vibration and Control, Vol. 21, Issue 2, 2015, p. 229-245. [Publisher]
- Sivakumar S., Haran A. P. Aircraft random vibration analysis using active landing gears. Journal of Low Frequency Noise, Vibration and Active Control, Vol. 34, Issue 3, 2015, p. 307-322. [Publisher]
- Wang H., Xing J. T., Price W. G. An investigation of an active landing gear system to reduce aircraft vibrations caused by landing impacts and runway excitations. Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 317, 2008, p. 50-66. [Publisher]